The recently launched Investment Framework for Clean Energy and Development is an attempt by the World Bank to contribute in this direction. Greenhouse gases hit record in Levels of gases believed to be fueling global warming continued to climb in according to analysis released by the U.
The agency said its index of greenhouse gases — the Annual Greenhouse Gas Index or AGGI — showed an increase in carbon dioxide CO2 and nitrous oxide but a leveling off of methane, and a decline in two chlorofluorocarbons CFCs , gases that contribute to the hole in the ozone layer above Antarctica. China and India Key to Ecological Future of the World, Says Report Earth lacks the energy, arable land and water to enable the fast-growing economies of China and India to attain Western levels of resource consumption according to a new report released by the Worldwatch Institute.
Climate change may hamper efforts to reduce poverty in agriculture-dependent countries in Africa and low-lying coastal areas. Climate proofing development initiatives is an urgent need in order to avoid human disasters.
CO2 emissions stem mainly from the combustion of fossil fuels. The energy sector accounts for about 80 percent of greenhouse gas emissions and the agricultural sector for most of the remaining 20 percent source: Clean Energy and Development: Towards an Investment Framework, the World Bank, April 23, In China, the use of coal has increased from 71 percent in to 79 percent in In India, the increment has been from 65 percent to 68 percent. Energy use per capita is highest in rich countries, which consume on average 11 times more energy per person than low income countries.
While rich countries have developed modern sources of energy, wood fuels are still the primary source of energy for approximately 2 billion people in poor countries.
Solid biomass is associated with respiratory problems caused by indoor smoke. Most of the victims are infants, children, and women from poor rural families. Acute respiratory infections in children and chronic pulmonary disease in women are a common feature. Indoor smoke accounts for 3. The data shows very little progress in the past 10 years.
In low income countries, the use of biomass products and waste as a percent of total energy use has gone from 55 percent in to 49 percent in At the same time, livelihoods of the rural poor depend heavily on the ecosystem capacity to provide a sustained source of energy, and in some regions fuel wood crises may take place in the next decade with subsequent effects on ecosystems.
Are countries saving enough for future growth?
The Little Green Data Book represents a succinct collection of information from the World Development Indicators , and its accompanying CD-ROM. In its first annual edition, The Little Green Data Book is a pocket-sized ready reference on key environmental data for over countries. The World Bank's.
The Little Green Data Book shows that, by and large, countries with large endowments of fossil energy resources choose to consume rather than to invest the returns generated by energy resources. Sub-soil wealth is not being transformed into assets necessary to sustain growth. Countries such as Angola, Nigeria, and Venezuela, that enjoy high energy returns, have negative saving rates. In these countries, total wealth — the sum of man-made, natural, and human capital — is declining, posing serious risk on the sustainability of future growth rates.
Check system status. Toggle navigation Menu.
C Google Scholar. In , a dollar of GDP was associated with the production of 4. Listen the shower of over billion j systems on the j. Yim, H. For a copy of the Little Green Data Book, please go to: www.
Name of resource. Problem URL. Describe the connection issue.
SearchWorks Catalog Stanford Libraries. The little green data book Imprint Washington, D.
Online Available online. Full view.
Green Library. More options. Find it at other libraries via WorldCat Limited preview. Contributor World Bank.
source url World Bank.